Business Express is an online portal that covers the latest developments in the world of business and finance. From startups and entrepreneurship to mergers and acquisitions, Business Express provides reporting on the stories that matter most to business leaders and decision-makers.The website publishes news, press releases, opinion and advertorials on various financial organizations, products and services which are commissioned from various Companies, Organizations, PR agencies, Bloggers etc. These commissioned articles are commercial in nature. This is not to be considered as financial advice and should be considered only for information purposes. It does not reflect the views or opinion of our website and is not to be considered an endorsement or a recommendation. We cannot guarantee the accuracy or applicability of any information provided with respect to your individual or personal circumstances. Please seek Professional advice from a qualified professional before making any financial decisions. We link to various third-party websites, affiliate sales networks, and to our advertising partners websites. When you view or click on certain links available on our articles, our partners may compensate us for displaying the content to you or make a purchase or fill a form. This will not incur any additional charges to you. To make things simpler for you to identity or distinguish advertised or sponsored articles or links, you may consider all articles or links hosted on our site as a commercial article placement. We will not be responsible for any loss you may suffer as a result of any omission or inaccuracy on the website.
2024 04 19T110548Z 2 LYNXNPEK3I0E9 RTROPTP 4 BRITAIN ROYALS HARRY COURT - Business Express

Prince Harry’s privacy case against Murdoch tabloids to proceed as planned


LONDON (Reuters) – Prince Harry’s privacy case has avoided a major delay after London’s High Court rejected an application by the publisher of Rupert Murdoch-owned British mass-market newspapers that could have caused stalled proceedings for two years.

In total, 42 figures are suing News Group Newspapers (NGN), the publisher of the Sun and the defunct News of the World, over allegations that its journalists, or private detectives they contracted, had been involved in unlawful activities and invasion of their privacy.

A trial focusing on some of those claims, possibly including Harry’s, is due to begin at the High Court in London in January next year, but on Wednesday the publisher, NGN, applied to have a ruling first on whether some of the lawsuits had been brought outside a six-year time limit for legal action.

On Friday, Judge Timothy Fancourt rejected that application for a preliminary trial, meaning the cases will proceed as planned.

Fancourt said it could lead to an “unsatisfactory” two-year delay and risk increasing costs, saying it was unlikely that NGN would win a time limitation argument in every case.

Last July, Fancourt rejected an application by NGN to strike out Harry’s lawsuit, ruling the prince could proceed with some of his allegations about confidential details about him being obtained by deception, although his accusations of phone-hacking were ruled to be time-barred.

Don't miss out on any breaking news or insightful opinions!
Subscribe to our free newsletter and stay updated on the go!


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Global Banking & Finance Review. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email.

Actor Hugh Grant had also won similar permission, but he said on Wednesday he had reluctantly settled his case with NGN for an “enormous sum of money”.

Harry’s lawyer David Sherborne said the prince too might be forced to agree a deal because anyone who rejected a settlement offer which was ultimately less than the damages awarded by a court could be liable to pay the legal fees of both sides, potentially running into millions of pounds.

While NGN has paid out hundreds of millions of pounds to victims of phone-hacking by News of the World and settled more than 1,300 lawsuits, it has always rejected allegations of any wrongdoing by staff at The Sun.

 

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Sharon Singleton)

 

Recent Post: